Rss Feed
Tweeter button
Facebook button
Linkedin button
Delicious button
Digg button
Flickr button
Stumbleupon button

Madras 4-6 Nov. 2005

Had gone to Chennai for the weekend. Oh and it was splendid. Stayed at a friends place… belted food… ahh Aunty makes nice food. Went out in between the rains. It had started raining the morning I landed. Was fun… Had met Shamz in the afternoon… a good three hours to listening to army camp stories… enjoyed every minute of it 🙂 Also saw a scenic point at top of St. Thomas Mount. Gotta go back and take some snaps… good place. Went to Zara’s for a couple of beers. Packed dinner at the beach and headed back home. Quite a bit of Chennai was still flooded and going through some of those roads made me queasy.

Saturday was stuck again due to rains but went out in the evening to do some shopping and had coffee at Coffee Day before heading back home for dinner. We then went to Flames. Well… not my kinda dance music for starters and the DJ actually started playing some good numbers only about 10:45 and they shut at 11:30 sharp. Just when u start to get in the groove. Timings don’t need a change but DJ does for sure 🙂 The crowd was ok… lots of place on the dance floor compared to Bangy where you’re sure to rub against someone everytime you move. On the whole an ok place.

There was supposed to be a drag sunday morning that we thought we would go for but then it started raining about 3 in the morning and just kept up through the day. So was cooped up at home. Spent the afternoon staring out of the window willing the rain to stop. Had to go meet Shamz but thanx to the one above crying 😀 couldn’t go 🙁 Had a good time talking with friend and getting on his nerves am sure :D. Was to leave at night and didn’t even have ticket thanks to holiday season. Then realized that most trains would be cancelled due to rain. Took a 10 meter walk in 2 feet water to the next door shop. Super fun it was, with only one umberalla and lots of water 🙂 Am sure me friend got scolded nicely by his Mom on return for taking me out in the rain :D.

Called Ajay to check online what the status was on trains. Realized all trains were delayed and most importantly the rain wasn’t stopping and Velachery was flooded on both sides hence no way out too. So decided to just stay put and leave in the morning. Found out about the trains in the morning. Woke at 5am and was ready to leave at 6:30. It was still raining off and on. So decided to take an auto. Auto guy said Rs. 150. Left Velachery but auto stopped inbetween on Mount Road, water I guess in the spark plug so took another auto… Finally paid Rs. 180 in total. Got to station at 6:45, ran in to stand in queue. Got ticket at 7 and by 7:05 was in train, as usual in the unreserved section :). Train left only at 7:30 so was already running late.

I stood at the door and refused to budge so the poor men had to stand inside with decent distance… fun it was. The door is best after all for view and breeze. Got talking to this man who was travelling with his teenage daughter I think. He spoke in a mixture of Kannada and Tamil. Just about managed to understand. He had stayed in Bangy a decade ago and wanted to know how much had changed. So we talked about his work, experience of Bangy and its people etc. He was telling me about how he couldn’t read Kannada and hence a lot of times would land up on the wrong bus. All he knew was the time of the bus, so whichever bus came along he would get into and only realize its the wrong bus if the cunductor asked, else he would just buy the ticket and travel to and fro. Lots of times for timepass he would just buy a ticket to the last stop and just take a ride and see Bangy. He had stayed in Domlur and had seen Whitefield this way. He got down at Katpadi after giving me instructions to move in as lots of people would get down and I would get a seat. I said ok, how was I to explain to him that I liked the door. Katpadi came at 9:30.

After which I just stood right there, some guy who looked quite decent gestured that there was some place across the aisle to him. So went and sat on half a seat. Borrowed a magazine from a babe there and started reading about the Delhi Blasts. My butt didn’t agree with half a seat so gave up and went back to the door. While I was there standing and reading one of the guys from the same cubicle came up and said he would get down at the next stop so I could sit down on his seat. So went and sat down there after sometime. Read a bit longer then started to feel sleepy so dozed off, waking up inbetween. The decent guy and another decent guy across the aisle worked for call centers and were discussing about it, so heard some bits of their conversation inbetween. First time I woke up they were discussing timings, second time night life (as in party scene), rest can’t remember.

Was woken up a little later but this woman who wanted some space and I was like where is the space, every bit is occupied and just coz I look thin don’t mean I can be fit anywhere at all. So slept of again, was starting to get bored and sleeping was the best time pass. Bored all because of friend wacking off my Bike magazine, so no reading material.

Ate all nonsense stuff on the way, two packets of boiled peanuts, some really oily vadas and some nasty coffee. Had terrible acidity and its still there after two days. Finally reached K R Puram at 1:30. Got off the train and went to auto stand only to find auto fellows asking Rs. 80 for 4 kms. Ahh… was in bad mood so took full chance and decently absused them. First one who said Rs. 80 was asked ‘Ladoo batre kai?’ to his confused reply of what do u mean, I replied ‘Meter se nahi aana to aaga badho jiji…’ Second was asked ‘Diwali hai kya?’ Anyway finally crossed to the other side of the flyover and got an auto. Reached home in 10 min with cost of only Rs. 23.

Quickly had a bath which took time as had to wash hair too due to train breeze. Left home on bike at 2:30 for office and was in at work at 3. Told all story of delay due to floods and in the evening at 9 cursed rain and weather fultu when fingers and toes froze on the way home.

Not to forget the two Tintins and one an half Three Investigators (read after ages) I read waiting at home Friday and Satuday for me friend to finsh work and get home.

Tagged as: